September 19th-21st, 2011.
I had the incredible opportunity to attend TALKING GALLERIES, an “open platform for inspiring thought and offering insight into one of the key figures on the art market: the gallerist”.
For three days, the Barcelona Contemporary Art Museum (MACBA) brought together leading international gallery directors to debate current issues, share experiences and draw up strategies for the future. Curators, collectors, art critics, directors of museums and other art institutions gave their points of view in debates and talks.
Georgina Adams – The Art Newspaper & Financial Times – shared this conclusions on the last day of this first edition of Talking Galleries:
- The art gallery business is not a business like others, and personal contact is a key factor.
- Passion is more important than “pesetas”.
- It is impossible to ignore globalization and and it is necessary to adapt to it in order to survive, but the beauty of small exhibitions and nurturing local scenes should not be neglected.
- Galleries create a very important value for the cultural scene of every country and region.
- Galleries must set aside their rivalries, work with each other and strengthen their ties to have a strong and united voice in the international art scene.
Looking forward to 2012!